Second Victorian swine flu death

29/06/2018 Posted by admin

A 50-year-old woman has become the second Victorian with swine flu to die. The woman, who was a long-term cancer patient, died at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre at 3am today, the state’s Health Minister Daniel Andrews has announced.Her death follows the death of Anthony Splatt, a 35-year-old Colac man who died on Saturday from respiratory failure. He also suffered from obesity and Type 2 diabetes.A 26-year-old WA man died with swine flu last week.The woman is the second patient at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre to be diagnosed with the H1N1 virus.The centre had set up a separate high-dependency unit for critical patients to limit the spread of swine flu.Victoria’s acting chief health officer Rosemary Lester said the vast majority of people with swine flu were still suffering only mild symptoms, but she warned the death toll would rise.”I expect that we will see more deaths,” she said.The woman was admitted to the hospital last Saturday with respiratory illness and became progressively unwell, requiring her to be moved to the intensive care ward on Sunday.She was confirmed influenza A positive on Monday and her positive test result for H1N1 Influenza 09 came back yesterday.“Her family have been informed of the H1N1 diagnosis,” Mr Andrews said.He said the second Peter Mac patient with H1N1 was receiving appropriate care.Dr Lester said both patients needed to be treated at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre because of underlying medical conditions.”We know that for immunosuppressed people, especially those who are being treated for life-threatening cancers, any respiratory illness can seriously compromise their health,” Dr Lester said.She said follow-up public health precautions, including the provision of Tamiflu, had also been instituted for contacts of both patients in the hospital.Mr Andrews said the Victorian Government was working with health services to ensure they could meet the increased demand for services throughout the flu season.”We will continue to take the necessary steps to ensure all flu patients receive the appropriate care,” Mr Andrews said.Dr Lester also revealed students at two special schools had been diagnosed with H1N1.The woman is the third Australian to die with swine flu. The first death was that of a 26-year-old man from the West Australian remote Aboriginal community of Kiwirrkuru, who died in an Adelaide hospital last week.
Nanjing Night Net

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Comments are closed.